DIMENSIONS OF WELLNESS
Making wellness a part of your everyday life!
Positive impact that lasts
WHAT IS WELLNESS?
Wellness is the way of integrating healthy habits into your daily routine in order to achieve improved physical and mental health results, rather than merely surviving. It is allowing the best possible health in your emotional, physical, spiritual, intellectual and social self.
There are eight major dimensions of personal wellness, such as physical, emotional, spiritual, social, occupational, environmental, financial and intellectual. When promoting wellness, none of these aspects should be ignored.
All dimensions of wellness require our attention for us to thrive.
Explore The Eight Dimensions:
Wellness matters. Mindfully concentrating on wellness in your life helps develop resilience and flourish amidst the biggest and smallest life’s challenges.
1. PHYSICAL WELLNESS
Physical wellness is all about keeping your whole body healthy. You can achieve physical wellness through regular exercise, healthy diet, high-quality sleep and regular medical examinations. Being physically unhealthy can result in different health issues and medical conditions. Sticking to a healthy lifestyle will significantly enhance your overall wellness.
Tips to enhance your physical wellness:
- Get to know your body’s functions;
- Eat healthy and try to go organic;
- Get enough sleep (7 to 8 hours a day);
- Build healthy habits;
- Exercise at least 3 times a week;
- Avoid drug use and alcohol drinking;
- Keep your blood pressure at bay;
- Seek medical care when needed;
- Manage health conditions.
2. EMOTIONAL WELLNESS
Emotional wellness is about recognising your feelings and managing stress effectively. It also involves building healthy relationships with yourself and others. Having healthy emotional wellness means being confident, controlling behaviour and feelings and developing coping mechanisms for handling hard situations.
Tips to enhance your emotional wellness:
- Stay resilient;
- Develop a positive self-image and assertiveness;
- Learn to express various emotions, including gratitude, happiness, joy, anger, sadness, frustration, fear, etc.
- Find out your strengths;
- Share your feelings with people you trust;
- Build healthy relationships;
- Keep a positive attitude even when a problem happens;
- Seek professional help when needed.
3. SPIRITUAL WELLNESS
Spiritual wellness lets you build values that help you find purpose and meaning in life. Spiritual wellness helps create a connection with nature and involves prayer, meditation and self-reflection. Maintaining spiritual health means you know the meaning in life and boast strong values and a feeling of inner peace.
Tips to enhance your spiritual wellness:
- Find time for yourself to embrace solitude and silence;
- Practice spiritual activities;
- Discover a meaning for your life;
- Figure out your personal values;
- Accept people for who they are;
- Help people in need;
- Explore your beliefs, principles and values;
- Build a strong and healthy relationship with nature;
- Find time for activities that increase your sense of connection to yourself;
- Meet each new day with a smile on your face.
4. INTELLECTUAL WELLNESS
Intellectual wellness relates to keeping an open mind when expanding your knowledge and dealing with new ideas. Intellectual wellness involves active participation in community, cultural and scholastic activities. Intellectual wellness promotes mental growth that helps you improve critical thinking skills, memory, and overall concentration.
Tips to enhance your intellectual wellness:
- Pay more attention to your educational work and read more books;
- Stay a life-long learner;
- Cultivate a positive self-image;
- Challenge yourself mentally – learn a new language or a new instrument;
- Train critical thinking skills;
- Use your creative abilities;
- Learn new skills;
- Discover community or public events;
- Read articles, books, or other content that you’re interested in;
- Practice problem solving.
5. SOCIAL WELLNESS
Social wellness involves feeling connected to others, building a support network and effectively performing social roles. Social wellness lets you develop healthy relationships with romantic partners and peers alike. Being unsocial and lonely can result in a variety of mental and physical health problems.
Tips to enhance your social wellness:
- Cultivate communication skills;
- Build positive relationships and recognise unhealthy ones;
- Attain a strong support network of peers, family members and friends;
- Maintain healthy boundaries with others;
- Figure out your impact in your community;
- Interact with socially diverse groups;
- Keep social connections by staying in touch with others;
- Take part in social or volunteer groups;
- Ask others for help and support when you need it.
6. ENVIRONMENTAL WELLNESS
Environmental wellness refers to maintaining good health by spending time in enjoyable, inspiring environments that promote happiness. This dimension inspires you to live in harmony with nature, protecting the Earth and your personal environment. Environmental wellness also involves increasing your awareness to build a strong environmental consciousness.
Tips to enhance your environmental wellness:
- Learn more about climate change and how we affect the environment;
- Cultivate environmental awareness;
- Find out how you contribute to pollution;
- Create a great home environment and a positive environment around you;
- Switch to eco-friendly products;
- Take regular walks in the park;
- De-clutter your home.
7. OCCUPATIONAL WELLNESS
Occupational wellness is about experiencing personal satisfaction and enrichment from your work – be it academic or professional work. Having a job that you’re passionate about is one of the keys to wellness. This is also critical for maintaining a work-life balance.
Tips to enhance your occupational wellness:
- Build your career in a positive work environment;
- Seek a mentor to help you find your dream job or start a business;
- Don’t dwell on mistakes; learn from them and move forward;
- Set achievable career goals;
- Stay on the lookout for new volunteer and career opportunities;
- Master good work skills;
- Communicate with others effectively;
- Form a good work-leisure balance;
- Enjoy what you do;
- Lead with your strengths.
8. FINANCIAL WELLNESS
Financial wellness encourages you to manage your finances and expenses the right way. Finances play a significant role in your life and a lack of them can negatively affect your life quality and health. Financial stress has become a serious problem that many people don’t know how to handle.
Tips to enhance your financial wellness:
- Become financially literate;
- Pay your bills on time;
- Review bank statements and credit reports;
- Be financially responsible;
- Find new ways to make more money;
- Look for professional financial help in challenging situations;
- Monitor your monthly spending;
- Set a monthly estimated budget.